The error message Wdf_violation can appear alongside the blue screen problem. The system will tell you that it needs to restart due to an error. The reason for this error can be many factors.
There are multiple reports online regarding the wdf_violation windows 10 error message just after installing the latest Windows 10 update. After several attempts of booting up the PC, the error message of wdf violation keeps popping up. There will be another message saying your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. WDF (Windows Driver Framework) is an array of Microsoft libraries and tools that help in generating device drivers 2000 and the more advanced versions of Windows. The message Wdf_violation tell that Windows encountered an error in the framework-based driver.
What Causes the WDF_Violation Issue
This error wdf violation is pretty common in HP PCs. The reason for this blue screen stop code can be many. According to research conducted in this area, this wdf violation happens due to a faulty keyboard driver in HP PCs. The keyboard driver HpqKbFiltr.sys (version 18.104.22.168), is incompatible with the Windows 10 version 1803 and version 1809. Other PC brands might still face the issues due to reasons such as
- Corrupted system files
- USB peripherals malfunctioning
- Other river issues such as the Bluetooth driver
Method 1: HP Keyboard driver removal
The faulty keyboard driver HpqKbFiltr.sys (version 22.214.171.124) can be the reason for HP users’ concern. The simple solution is to remove the driver or rename the faulty driver.
- Go to the WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment)
- Visit Troubleshoot – Advanced Options – Command Prompt
- Enter the below instructions following the system version. Then, press “Enter” after the process.
- 32-bit version of Windows: dism/Image:C\ /Remove-Driver /Driver:C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpqkbfilter.inf_x86_f1527018cecbb8c2\HpqKbFiltr.inf
- 64-bit version of Windows: dism/Image:C\ /Remove-Driver: /Driver:c:\Windows\System32\driverstore\FileRepository\hpqkbfilter.inf_amd64_714aca0508a80e9a \HpqKbFiltr.inf
- Then, get out by exiting the WinRE and reboot the computer and check whether the wdf_violation windows 10 is resolved or not.
Method 2: USB Peripherals disconnected
The stop code wdf_violation can haunt you because of some faulty USB peripherals. So, it is worth giving a shot at the process after disconnecting all the USB peripherals connected to the device. Also, try removing the camera and microphones with the device they can also obstruct the PC’s normal functioning. If you can’t physically then try the BIOS route of removing them by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Boot up the PC and continuously press Del or F2 to go to the BIOS page.
- In the BIOS page, go to Advanced Tab – Miscellaneous Devices – External Ports and then visit the option of “Disable all external ports”.
- Remember to save all the settings and exit the BIOS page.
After the process reboots the PC to see if the Wdf_violation is corrected.
Method 3: Enter Safe mode and uninstall Bluetooth
Reports are floating in the online forums that remove the Bluetooth device from the system individuals have fixed the Wdf_violation. To do that, enter the system in Safe Mode and then remove the potential problematic Bluetooth driver.
- Go to WinRE and select Troubleshoot – Advanced options – Startup Settings – Restart to visit Startup Settings.
- Hit F5 and then select the option “Enable Safe Mode with Networking” to run the PC safely.
- Hit Win + X and select Device Manager amongst the list.
- Find the “Bluetooth” driver and right-click. Select the “uninstall device” option off the menu.
- Then, a popup window appears, and check the “Delete the driver software for this device” and go ahead and hit “Uninstall”.
After, the process is done to restart the system and check whether the Wdf_violation has been resolved or not.
Method 5: Startup Repair
If the Safe Mode of the system is off-limits, then Startup Repair is a decent shout to repair the issue. Go to WinRE and search for Startup Repair else to use a Windows installation disk and go to “Repair your computer”.
Troubleshoot – Advanced options – Startup Repair. The system will automatically find the issue and fix it. After the process is done, restart the system.
Method 6: Restoring the system
If there is an error popping up regularly during any software installation, then restoring the system may be the best bet to go ahead with. This restores the entire system to the point when the error was not popping up. To restore the system, follow the following steps:
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu
- On the search bar type in “Recovery” and then select the option.
- Click on the “System Restore” option
- Select a system restore point before the Wdf_violation started popping up. After that, click on next and finish.
Method 7: System File Checker
The corruption of certain files can be the prime suspect of wdf_violation windows 10. Run the safe mode and open the System File Checker. Follow the following steps:
- As an administrator run command prompt
- Put the command sfc/scannow and hit the “Enter” key. Please wait for the checks to happen and after, it is done reboot the system.
Method 8: Reinstall Windows
This is last resort territory if all the methods mentioned above flop, this is the final attempt to fix the issue. Insert the Windows disk or the USB pen drive wherever the Windows installer is kept and install the Windows as a new operating system. The only downside to this is the loss of personal data that comes with reinstalling everything. Having said that this method is sure shot to work and fix the problem.
Conclusion on WDF_Violation Issue
Whenever the stop code wdf_violation arrives at the screen, there is no need to panic. This is a common error code that comes with using Windows 10. The best way to move ahead is to back up all the personal files. As the importance of these files cannot be understated and once lost cannot be recovered.
You may also like: